The Biblioteca Casanatense (Casanata Library) was established in 1701 by the Dominicans of the Monastery of Santa Maria sopra Minerva in Rome. It was opened to the general public, according to the will of Cardinal Girolamo Casanata (1620–1700). The library contained about 25 000 volumes. Since 1872 the library has been managed by the Italian government. In the present day the library is under the supervision of the Ministry of Culture.
Today the Library’s collection contains approximately 400.000 volumes, about 6.000 manuscripts, 2.200 incunabula. The library also holds medieval manuscripts, including biblical manuscripts.