Permalink - 8 October 2014 
Sainte-Geneviève Library Reading Room, Paris, France

Sainte-Geneviève Library Reading Room, Paris, France


Permalink - 8 October 2014 
Sainte-Geneviève Library Reading Room, Paris, France

Sainte-Geneviève Library Reading Room, Paris, France


Permalink - 8 October 2014 
Sainte-Geneviève Library Reading Room, Paris, France

Sainte-Geneviève Library Reading Room, Paris, France


Permalink - 8 October 2014 
Sainte-Geneviève Library, Paris, France

Sainte-Geneviève Library, Paris, France


Permalink - 8 October 2014 
Sainte-Geneviève Library, Paris, France

Sainte-Geneviève Library, Paris, France


Permalink - 8 October 2014 
Sainte-Geneviève Library, Paris, France

Sainte-Geneviève Library, Paris, France


Permalink - 8 October 2014 
Sainte-Geneviève Library, Paris, France

Sainte-Geneviève Library, Paris, France


Permalink - 8 October 2014 
Sainte-Geneviève Library (French: Bibliothèque Sainte-Geneviève) is a public and university library in Paris, which inherited the collection of the Abbey of St Genevieve. The library contains around 2 million documents. Between 1838 and 1850, a building for the Sainte-Geneviève Library was designed and constructed under the direction of the architect Henri Labrouste. The glass and iron reading room has been described as “magisterial” and the building itself as a seminal work in the creation of the modern library as “a temple of knowledge and space for contemplation”. The names of 810 illustrious scholars are inscribed on the building’s facade. Labrouste’s structure stands at the Sainte-Genevieve hill, across the street from the Panthéon in the Latin Quarter. When developing his design, Labrouste may have added the leafy garland band above the windows on the first level exterior nearly identical to the band on the Pantheon as a gesture of respect to its neighboring monument.

Sainte-Geneviève Library (French: Bibliothèque Sainte-Geneviève) is a public and university library in Paris, which inherited the collection of the Abbey of St Genevieve. The library contains around 2 million documents. Between 1838 and 1850, a building for the Sainte-Geneviève Library was designed and constructed under the direction of the architect Henri Labrouste. The glass and iron reading room has been described as “magisterial” and the building itself as a seminal work in the creation of the modern library as “a temple of knowledge and space for contemplation”. The names of 810 illustrious scholars are inscribed on the building’s facade. Labrouste’s structure stands at the Sainte-Genevieve hill, across the street from the Panthéon in the Latin Quarter. When developing his design, Labrouste may have added the leafy garland band above the windows on the first level exterior nearly identical to the band on the Pantheon as a gesture of respect to its neighboring monument.


Permalink - 6 September 2014 
The Biblioteca Palafoxiana in Puebla, Puebla, Mexico.

The Biblioteca Palafoxiana in Puebla, Puebla, Mexico.


Permalink - 6 September 2014 
The Biblioteca Palafoxiana in Puebla, Puebla, Mexico.

The Biblioteca Palafoxiana in Puebla, Puebla, Mexico.


Permalink - 6 September 2014 
The Biblioteca Palafoxiana in Puebla, Puebla, Mexico.

The Biblioteca Palafoxiana in Puebla, Puebla, Mexico.


Permalink - 6 September 2014 
The Biblioteca Palafoxiana in Puebla, Puebla, Mexico. 

The Biblioteca Palafoxiana in Puebla, Puebla, Mexico. 


Permalink - 6 September 2014 
The Biblioteca Palafoxiana is a library in Puebla, Puebla, Mexico. Founded in 1646, it was the first public library in colonial Mexico, and is sometimes considered the first in the Americas. It has more than 41,000 books and manuscripts, ranging from the 15th to the 20th century. In 2005, it was listed on UNESCO’s Memory of the World Register.
The Biblioteca Palafoxiana owes its name and foundation to Juan de Palafox y Mendoza, bishop of Puebla. He was a lover of books, and is quoted as having said,

He who succeeds without books is in an inconsolable darkness, on a mountain without company, on a path without a crosier, in darkness without a guide.
The library was finished in 1773, consisting of a 43-meter-long vaulted hall on the Colegio’s second floor. Two levels of bookshelves were built, and a retablo of the Madonna of Trapani by Nino Pisano was acquired. By the mid-19th century, the size of the collection necessitated a third level of bookshelves.

Two earthquakes in 1999 caused damage to the building and shelves, leading to a restoration program in 2001

The Biblioteca Palafoxiana is a library in Puebla, Puebla, Mexico. Founded in 1646, it was the first public library in colonial Mexico, and is sometimes considered the first in the Americas. It has more than 41,000 books and manuscripts, ranging from the 15th to the 20th century. In 2005, it was listed on UNESCO’s Memory of the World Register.

The Biblioteca Palafoxiana owes its name and foundation to Juan de Palafox y Mendoza, bishop of Puebla. He was a lover of books, and is quoted as having said,

He who succeeds without books is in an inconsolable darkness, on a mountain without company, on a path without a crosier, in darkness without a guide.

The library was finished in 1773, consisting of a 43-meter-long vaulted hall on the Colegio’s second floor. Two levels of bookshelves were built, and a retablo of the Madonna of Trapani by Nino Pisano was acquired. By the mid-19th century, the size of the collection necessitated a third level of bookshelves.

Two earthquakes in 1999 caused damage to the building and shelves, leading to a restoration program in 2001


Permalink - 8 January 2014 
Bangalore City Central Library in the Seshadri Iyer Memorial, Cubbon Park, Bangalore, India

Bangalore City Central Library in the Seshadri Iyer Memorial, Cubbon Park, Bangalore, India


Permalink - 8 January 2014 
Bangalore City Central Library in the Seshadri Iyer Memorial, Cubbon Park, Bangalore, India

Bangalore City Central Library in the Seshadri Iyer Memorial, Cubbon Park, Bangalore, India